Friday, January 07, 2005

Jacare no Rio

7 Jan 2005

It´s me again. The guy who reads the newspaper over your shoulder and says,`´Don´t turn the page. I'm not done yet.`` --Lyle Lovett

Anyhow, Jacare here reporting from the streets of the cidade maravilhosa. Arrived with no problem on 5 Jan. The bad news is that our bags didn´t. After a quick shopping trip to the local cheap clothing store, we hit the streets. I was naked but I had great new flip flops so all was good. WE went to an old haunt and ordered the perfect food...frango a passarinho. Little anatomically incorrect unnatural chicken (there are no``natural chickens here`. they only have the ones that peck bateries and eat lizards but they taste good. ) parts fried to a golden brown with about apound of garlic and sprinkled with a pinch of parsley. Add the beer food group and you´re good to go. Primal. It´s like the old hunter-gathererdays when homo sapiens were young and wild chickens roamed the earth.

Here´s a travel tip which I have to re-learn every few years: Never go to the third world without a change of clothes and a toothbrush in your carry on.

The beeronomy report is positive. Despite Shrub´s attempts to single handedly bankrupt the US economy, beer is still only about a buck. When the real was 4 per dollar, lunch was just over a buck. Now it´s about $3. Can´t complain but I still do, mostly at Bushy Boy. Oh well.

The bags arrived last night and we hooked up with Xuxa and went to the CCC to see Teresa Cristina, arguably, the best samba singer in Rio at this time. Great show in a room made for about100 and filled with about 400 adoring, singing fans. It was about 200 degrees in there so we got a free steam bath out of the deal. Since I don´t even know the words to songs in english, I couldn´t sing along. However I could sing along on all the percussion phrasing. As I´ve said before, samba is a language. If you have spent time studying with JOrge or in samba camp or inRio, you speak the language. Certain things make sense. Others don´t. Samba is not spoken in Austin. Sorry but that´s the way it is.

ANYHOW, we were out with a bunch of XUXA´s friends and I saw it as an opportunity to further my research into Brazilian aphrodisiacs. I asked Xuxa´s boyfriend about it and he immediately identified Xuxa as an aphrodisiac. I need to rethink my methodology. This topic is bigger (nopun intended) than I thought. More on that later.

I also have a word or two to say about napkins but that also can wait.

Tonight we´re off to Bambas do Catete to samba the night away with all our old buds from the neighborhood. Samba and culture is on the street corner. The stuff on TV is for show. j